Food for thought
- What would happen if you were no longer able to work due to illness or disablement?
- Who in your life depends on your income?
- How would your family cope with an unexpected death?
Unexpected changes like illness, accident, death or loss of income can be truly devastating to you and your family. It is at these times that you most need financial security.
Types of personal insurance
- Life insurance – Pays a lump sum or a monthly income, depending on your needs, to your family and/or business in the event of your death.
- Permanent disablement insurance - Provides a lump sum in the event of total permanent disablement caused by accident or illness. You can choose how to spend it, it might be paying off the mortgage, getting the best medical care, improving access to your home and workplace, or ensuring your business survives.
- Income protection insurance - Safeguards your biggest asset – your ability to earn. It provides a monthly income if you are unable to work due to sickness or injury.
- Critical illness cover -Serious illnesses, such as cancer, heart attack or stroke, are more common than you might think, and the cost of recovery can have a huge impact on you, your family and your business. Critical illness cover provides a lump sum payment based on the severity of your illness.
- Mortgage protection insurance - Provides payments towards covering your mortgage if you are unable to work due to an illness or injury.
- Health insurance - If you or a member of your family became ill, perhaps seriously, wouldn’t you want access to expert care, when and where it suits you? Only private health insurance can give you that assurance. Health cover provides greater choice and more immediate attention when you need hospital care or an operation.
Food for thought
- How would the loss of a key member of staff affect your business?
- How about if you were unable to work through illness or disablement?
- How would you pay your employees if you were shut down for 3 months?
Having the right kind of business insurance can help you manoeuvre through the challenges and provide the support you need when you need it.
SOME TYPES OF BUSINESS INSURANCE
- Business Life Cover - Provides a lump sum if you or an insured key person dies. The money can be used to reduce business debt or replace income that would have been generated by the key person.
- Business continuity - If you or a key person were out of action, how long could your business survive on cash reserves and goodwill? This insurance provides a monthly payment should you or key staff be unable to work due to accident or ill health.
- Start-Up income protection – It is designed to meet the needs of business owners who have been trading for less than three years. It provides a monthly payment if you're unable to work due to sickness or injury.
- Workplace insurance - Workplace insurance refers to insurance provided to employees by their employer, or offered to employees through their place of work. This type of insurance is sometimes called a 'group scheme'. It can include life cover, total permanent disablement, income protection and health insurance.