"Wellness" is a broad term - one that might conjure up images of kombucha drinking, yoga loving bloggers who talk about 'mindfulness' a lot.
Nicola Smith, Personal Trainer, Nutritionist and Lifestyle Coach says "wellness is about having the energy and vitality to do the things you love. To have a healthy body that doesn't hold you back and to have a balance in your life that allows you to enjoy the small things". Which is something we can all benefit from, in some form and at some level.
With a season of over-indulgence fast approaching, there's no time like the present to consider how we can fit it into our own lives. Nicola shared some simple tips to wellness on the Sovereign blog.
Here are 10 simple things you can do to get started:
- Build a foundation of movement: Aim to get 10,000 steps in every day and spend more of your day standing.
- Eat whole foods that you prepare at home.
- Organise your evening so you can get an additional half an hour of sleep and keep building on it. You should aim to reach 8-9 hours per night.
- Recognise the things that make you happy and do more of them: Write a list of the 10 things that bring you joy and start to bring these into your week in some way.
- Stay in touch with people who are important to you.
- Devote a little bit of time every week to yoga, stretching or massage.
- Drink more water.
- Get outside – whether it’s for a walk, exercise or a meeting.
- Focus on making the last three hours of your day relaxed so that you can have a quality night’s sleep – this means no large meals, screens or phones.
- Keep building on all of these steps.